- About A2Z
- Focus Areas
- Country Activities
- Child Blindness
- By Country
- By Product Type
- By Technical Area
- Related Links
- Monitoring and Evaluating Food Fortification Programs: General Overview (PDF)
A2Z Project (2006).
- Rice Fortification in Developing Countries: A Critical Review of the Technical and Economic Feasibility (PDF)
A2Z and IFT (2008).
- The Food Fortification Formulator: Frequently Asked Questions
A2Z Project, (2008).
- The Food Fortification Formulator: Technical Determination of Fortification Levels and Standards for Mass Fortification (PDF)
A2Z Project, Omar Dary and Michael Hainsworth (2008).
The tools for the calculation of the fortification of various foods with micronutrients were developed by Dr. Omar Dary, A2Z/AED and are available below. To access each spreadsheet, click on the following widely consumed food:
- ECSA Fortification Levels
ECSA - HC (2007).
- Food Control Manuals
- Guidelines on Food Fortification with Micronutrients (external link, PDF)
WHO and FAO (2006).
- Key Catalyst, Collective Voice: The East, Central, and Southern Africa Health Community's Initiative on Food Fortification as a Public Health Intervention
A2Z Project (2011).
- Once Upon a Partnership: A Model for Sustainable Fortification Interventions
A2Z Project (2011).
- Uganda - Ministry of Health Food Fortification Program
A2Z Project (2007).
- Determining Dietary Patterns and Biochemical Markers among Women and Children in Hebron and Gaza City
- The Demand for Locally Manufactured Complementary Food Products among Palestinian Caregivers
- Manual of Methods for Determining Micronutrients in Fortified Foods
- Inspection Manual for Monitoring Salt and Flour Fortification
- Analysis of Inspection Results from Salt and Wheat Flour Samples
- A Wise Combination of Several Strategies is Needed to Prevent Nutritional Anemia
Dary. Nutrition Magazine (2006).
- Establishing Safe and Potentially Efficacious Fortification Contents for Folic Acid and Vitamin B12
Omar Dary. Food and Nutrition Bulletin (2008).
- Food Fortification as a Public Health Strategy and the Contributions of A2Z
Dary. Sight and Life Magazine (2009).
- Household Income and Expenditures Surveys: A Tool for Accelerating the Development of Evidence-based, Fortification Programs
Fiedler, Francois Smitz, Dupriez, and Friedman. Food and Nutrition Bulletin (2008).
- How Can Vitamin and Mineral Deficiencies be Reduced? Implementing Proven Interventions at Scale
Omar Dar, Tina Sanghvi, Robin Houston. Food and Nutrition Bulletin (2007).
- Nutritional Interpretation of Folic Acid Interventions
Dary. Nutrition Reviews (2008).
- Recommendations on Wheat and Maize Flour Fortification: Meeting Report: Interim Consensus Statement
Published by World Health Organization (2009).
- The Importance and Limitations of Food Fortification for the Management of Nutritional Anemia
Omar Dary. Sight and Life Nutritional Anemia Guidebook (2007).
- Vitamin A Fortification of Wheat Flour: Considerations and Current Recommendations
Klemm, West, Palmer, Johnson, Randall, Ranum, and Northrop-Clewes. Food and Nutrition Bulletin (2010).
- Wheat Flour Fortification is Unlikely to Benefit the Neediest in Guatemala
Dary, Imhoff-Kunsch, Flores, and Martorell. The Journal of Nutrition (2007).